Consider the value you need versus the current offer to decide between the 12,900k and 13,900k.
Consider the value you need versus the current offer to decide between the 12,900k and 13,900k.
The post outlines your thoughts on upgrading your processor. You initially planned to switch to an i9 before the 13th Gen release, but decided to stick with your current i7. Recently, the 12900k model became available for under $500, even at a discount, and you heard from a friend offering it for less than $400. You’re considering whether this makes sense compared to the upcoming 13900k, which is still quite new. You’re weighing the performance gap between the 12900k and 13900k against your budget and preferences, and are leaning toward the newer model if it offers better value. Your usual approach is to choose the latest and highest-end options unless the differences aren’t significant. What are your thoughts?
I usually opt for the latest models at reduced costs on my own system. The 12900K remains a strong CPU, and you can grab it even more affordably than the i7-13700K. It's definitely a good value.
I'd wait for feedback from third parties first. With all the details, it's not the best time to decide.
It hinges on whether you need a super-fast, tightly timed DDR5 chip to match the demands of the 13th generation compared to the 12th. A clock speed of 6000MHz CL36 is ideal for that performance boost. If it drops below that or you opt for DDR4, the 12th generation becomes clearly preferable—offering similar results at a much lower cost, typically under $300. Ultimately, the decision depends on your budget and priorities. Unless you're committed to sticking with an older platform, the 5800X3D is a smart alternative now available for under $400.
Essentially my thinking is the same. We understand that a jump from 12 to 13 probably won't be huge, so it makes sense to invest a bit more for an upgrade. I'm considering a similar change for switching to an ITX setup but am holding off until new CPUs are on sale and maybe buying a used one at a lower price ;^))
I'm not sure why this is even the question being asked. You should be asking: Should I get a 12900k or a 13700k? Those two will be in the same price bracket. The 13700k is a better cpu in every way. Currently, the 13700k is pre ordering at $440 but Intel has a recommended price of $409-419 for their customers so it should drop. Now, $440 is cheaper than a new 12900k so nobody in the universe should buy a new 12900k that would be silly. As for used, sure that can be worth it at the right price. https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...0-ghz.html https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...0-ghz.html The 13700k has higher clock speeds for both P cores and E cores as well as 24mb L2 cache vs 14mb L2 cache which might help in games. I don't know how much better it's gonna be, but a basic spec sheet tells me it's better and a quick look at prices tells me it's cheaper when buying new... So that's pretty dang simple. Now is a 12900k worth it at $400 used? That part I can't tell you. That's subjective. It's marginally cheaper, it's gonna perform worse but by how much I don't yet know, and that also depends on how you value used vs new parts. $40 is $40.
Thank you for your thoughts. The difference in pricing came from purchasing a 12900k from a friend at a lower cost, while the 13700k had higher prices but similar performance. Recent videos compared the 13700k to other models, highlighting its slightly lower performance. The extra $80 would cover more than $40 in additional features or upgrades. The 13700k is technically better, but the gain in FPS isn't enough to justify the price difference. My intention was to evaluate if the extra $200–$220 was justified by choosing the 13900k over the 12th Gen. I haven’t planned for the 13700k yet and am leaning toward the 13900k. I’m financially comfortable, so the decision is based on performance value rather than cost alone.