F5F Stay Refreshed Hardware Desktop Which CPU to get

Which CPU to get

Which CPU to get

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
A
absol99
Junior Member
15
05-31-2021, 03:04 PM
#1
Hello, first up sorry of this is the wrong categorie but seemed fitting here: I have a RTX 3090 on the way since I got it relativley "cheap" (considering market conditions anyway). I am currently running a 8700k but that CPU actually isn't mine and I need to get a new one. I also already have a z490 strix motherboard which was a leftover from a build I did for someone else. So the options I am considering so far: 1 10850k + use the z490 board -> 408€ 2 11700k+ use the z490 board -> 360€ 3 11900k+ use the z490 board -> 505€ 4 5900x + new board -> 720€ 5 5800x + new board -> 580€ when gaming I will mainly use it for 1440p 144hz gaming on my desk and 4k 60hz on my tv. Also for VR (biggest reason I wanted the new gpu). I also do quite a bit of solidworks work but don't think either should make a big difference there I am kind of leaning towards waiting and getting one of the cheaper options. It just seems to me that a lot is happening in the cpu space right ow with amd and intel both moving to new sockets, ddr 5 and pcie 5 arriving. question is though if it will be wise to even upgrade to ryzen 6000/alderlake or rather waiting for 7000/wateverlake since I am not sure if there will be problems in the beginning (espacially with alderlakes big little design, which sounds great but I bet will cause all kind of problems in the beginning). Lastly: yes I know I have a completly oversized gpu and it is kind of funny to know ask buget questions for the cpu, but I got it at msrp and just pulled the trigger mainly since I assumed that it will propably help with VR supersampling a lot. I don't mind if the cpu is bottlenecking the gpu theoretically in some 1080p benchmark basically I want to play games in 1440p 144hz nicely, same at 4k 60hz and mostlyy the question is if it will hinder me in VR for now.
A
absol99
05-31-2021, 03:04 PM #1

Hello, first up sorry of this is the wrong categorie but seemed fitting here: I have a RTX 3090 on the way since I got it relativley "cheap" (considering market conditions anyway). I am currently running a 8700k but that CPU actually isn't mine and I need to get a new one. I also already have a z490 strix motherboard which was a leftover from a build I did for someone else. So the options I am considering so far: 1 10850k + use the z490 board -> 408€ 2 11700k+ use the z490 board -> 360€ 3 11900k+ use the z490 board -> 505€ 4 5900x + new board -> 720€ 5 5800x + new board -> 580€ when gaming I will mainly use it for 1440p 144hz gaming on my desk and 4k 60hz on my tv. Also for VR (biggest reason I wanted the new gpu). I also do quite a bit of solidworks work but don't think either should make a big difference there I am kind of leaning towards waiting and getting one of the cheaper options. It just seems to me that a lot is happening in the cpu space right ow with amd and intel both moving to new sockets, ddr 5 and pcie 5 arriving. question is though if it will be wise to even upgrade to ryzen 6000/alderlake or rather waiting for 7000/wateverlake since I am not sure if there will be problems in the beginning (espacially with alderlakes big little design, which sounds great but I bet will cause all kind of problems in the beginning). Lastly: yes I know I have a completly oversized gpu and it is kind of funny to know ask buget questions for the cpu, but I got it at msrp and just pulled the trigger mainly since I assumed that it will propably help with VR supersampling a lot. I don't mind if the cpu is bottlenecking the gpu theoretically in some 1080p benchmark basically I want to play games in 1440p 144hz nicely, same at 4k 60hz and mostlyy the question is if it will hinder me in VR for now.

Z
zuper_ah
Member
142
05-31-2021, 09:16 PM
#2
11900k is worthless, don't waste time chasing 10850k unless you're indifferent about overclocking or undervolting—then consider a budget 10900(f).
Z
zuper_ah
05-31-2021, 09:16 PM #2

11900k is worthless, don't waste time chasing 10850k unless you're indifferent about overclocking or undervolting—then consider a budget 10900(f).

P
PennySarah
Junior Member
10
06-04-2021, 03:35 AM
#3
Unless you require a PC tomorrow, wait two weeks for a 12900KF and a Z690 motherboard, along with DDR5 memory. It’ll be significantly superior to any Intel upgrade and comparable for AMD.
P
PennySarah
06-04-2021, 03:35 AM #3

Unless you require a PC tomorrow, wait two weeks for a 12900KF and a Z690 motherboard, along with DDR5 memory. It’ll be significantly superior to any Intel upgrade and comparable for AMD.

L
LooseDawg
Senior Member
628
06-04-2021, 04:42 AM
#4
I would pick the 11700K myself. A few notes though. I lean toward AMD products, so keep my advice in mind. Also, do you require the K models? Are there options for non-K variants like KF without the extra letters if you prefer not to overclock? Since you already have a 3090, you might want to look into a KF CPU instead—often cheaper and suitable. I found a 10700K on eBay that ships to your area. I’d choose a KF if budget allows, especially since you’re planning to wait for the next generation or delay DDR5 RAM issues. I’d go with a KF, but it performs just like the K. Here’s the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/384468614250?ep...SwsdVhef7u
L
LooseDawg
06-04-2021, 04:42 AM #4

I would pick the 11700K myself. A few notes though. I lean toward AMD products, so keep my advice in mind. Also, do you require the K models? Are there options for non-K variants like KF without the extra letters if you prefer not to overclock? Since you already have a 3090, you might want to look into a KF CPU instead—often cheaper and suitable. I found a 10700K on eBay that ships to your area. I’d choose a KF if budget allows, especially since you’re planning to wait for the next generation or delay DDR5 RAM issues. I’d go with a KF, but it performs just like the K. Here’s the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/384468614250?ep...SwsdVhef7u

L
Lieezy
Member
64
06-04-2021, 12:29 PM
#5
We'll hold off until the 12000 series benchmarks are in. The 12600K could be a solid choice soon, but right now the 10850K seems like the top pick. It's the fastest Intel CPU on the market and with your existing board and RAM, it should offer good value.
L
Lieezy
06-04-2021, 12:29 PM #5

We'll hold off until the 12000 series benchmarks are in. The 12600K could be a solid choice soon, but right now the 10850K seems like the top pick. It's the fastest Intel CPU on the market and with your existing board and RAM, it should offer good value.

B
BrainLetsPlay
Member
68
06-11-2021, 06:17 PM
#6
It's interesting how a motherboard can end up as a leftover. It’s a bit puzzling to think about. I wouldn’t recommend the 12th generation model because it might be more expensive than what you’ve mentioned otherwise. Given your Z490 setup, the 10850K would be a solid choice—it performs similarly to the 10900K in most tests, including gaming. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel...i9-10850k/ The 10900K generally outperforms the 11th generation in many benchmarks, making the 10850K a better pick. A Ryzen 5000 chip would be slightly faster but the gap isn’t significant enough to warrant a new board. In short, go with the 10850K.
B
BrainLetsPlay
06-11-2021, 06:17 PM #6

It's interesting how a motherboard can end up as a leftover. It’s a bit puzzling to think about. I wouldn’t recommend the 12th generation model because it might be more expensive than what you’ve mentioned otherwise. Given your Z490 setup, the 10850K would be a solid choice—it performs similarly to the 10900K in most tests, including gaming. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel...i9-10850k/ The 10900K generally outperforms the 11th generation in many benchmarks, making the 10850K a better pick. A Ryzen 5000 chip would be slightly faster but the gap isn’t significant enough to warrant a new board. In short, go with the 10850K.

A
alerabbit
Posting Freak
840
06-18-2021, 10:02 PM
#7
Occasionally you encounter surplus components. There were times when I never received a motherboard, which the carrier logged as "lost in transit." I obtained a replacement, and then the original arrived a week later. When I reached out to the store, they advised me to keep it. I also faced a situation with a B550 motherboard from Newegg, which I eventually donated to a friend. Regarding the 12th generation... a concern remains about the scarcity of LGA 1700 compatible coolers available right now. This is currently a significant drawback.
A
alerabbit
06-18-2021, 10:02 PM #7

Occasionally you encounter surplus components. There were times when I never received a motherboard, which the carrier logged as "lost in transit." I obtained a replacement, and then the original arrived a week later. When I reached out to the store, they advised me to keep it. I also faced a situation with a B550 motherboard from Newegg, which I eventually donated to a friend. Regarding the 12th generation... a concern remains about the scarcity of LGA 1700 compatible coolers available right now. This is currently a significant drawback.

A
AmazinglyCool
Senior Member
695
07-10-2021, 05:57 PM
#8
This amount makes sense here, I think.
A
AmazinglyCool
07-10-2021, 05:57 PM #8

This amount makes sense here, I think.

K
kenken0724
Member
178
07-25-2021, 09:13 PM
#9
From what you mentioned, I’d settle for 10,850k and stop there. Ten core, twenty threads should keep you going for a while before you’re ready to upgrade again. A 12th-gen Intel chip isn’t inexpensive—expect around $200 extra just for the motherboard, plus possible early adopter complications.
K
kenken0724
07-25-2021, 09:13 PM #9

From what you mentioned, I’d settle for 10,850k and stop there. Ten core, twenty threads should keep you going for a while before you’re ready to upgrade again. A 12th-gen Intel chip isn’t inexpensive—expect around $200 extra just for the motherboard, plus possible early adopter complications.

I
IvoltFx
Junior Member
4
08-01-2021, 11:43 PM
#10
Thanks to all the responses. I chose to pause for a few weeks and aim to secure one of the mentioned CPUs at a discount during Black Friday, or perhaps organize the stock for Alder Lake. Appreciate the input!
I
IvoltFx
08-01-2021, 11:43 PM #10

Thanks to all the responses. I chose to pause for a few weeks and aim to secure one of the mentioned CPUs at a discount during Black Friday, or perhaps organize the stock for Alder Lake. Appreciate the input!

Pages (2): 1 2 Next