Upgrade CPU from Intel Core i5-5600X to i7-8700X3D with GPU enhancement.
Upgrade CPU from Intel Core i5-5600X to i7-8700X3D with GPU enhancement.
I'm currently using an AMD R5 5600x with a +200Mhz boost via PBO and some undervolting. My plan was to upgrade both GPU and CPU together—possibly moving to a newer NVidia or AMD model in the 5070s or 5080s, paired with an R7 5800x3D to avoid CPU bottlenecks. Unfortunately, the 5800x3D is no longer affordable, leaving only the 5700x3D as a viable option. I'm unsure if that upgrade will make a difference, since the X3D relies more on cache and extra cores than raw clock speed. It's also fast approaching when the 5700x3D might sell out. Time is tight—I really need some advice before making a decision. Thanks!
For certain tasks you'll notice the X3D runs slower, especially when boosting to 4850MHz. However, in games and most applications needing multiple cores, it performs better. My 58X3D works faster than my 5900X in nearly all scenarios except for gaming. I also have a 5600X on my son's system, but I switch between the two CPUs often.
You're considering a CPU upgrade because your current setup is handling performance adequately, or perhaps you just want to keep things fresh. We often move upgrades when our systems run smoothly—or whenever it feels right. Even if the 5700X3D becomes unavailable, there are plenty of other options available.
What resolution is required? If it's 1080p, ensure you have the 5700X3D setup and verify your GPU usage.
Secure the 5700X3D. Seek a new GPU that won’t be overly limited by the CPU at such a low quality. For 1080p options are the RTX 4070 Super or Radeon RX 7800XT. Even the 7800X3D wouldn’t handle a more powerful card well on that resolution.
For the GPU I’ll hold off until the 5000 series arrives and then choose between that or a 4070 TI Super (I’m aiming for 16GB VRAM). My current RTX 2070 is still decent enough to make the wait worthwhile, while I keep an eye on the 5700x3D for a promising discount.