Should I continue using an RX 7900 XTX or consider upgrading?
Should I continue using an RX 7900 XTX or consider upgrading?
Hi everyone,
I used to own an RX 7900 XTX but ran into some problems with it. After returning it under warranty, I got a refund. Now I’m unsure whether to buy another RX 7900 XTX or explore alternatives like the RX 9070 XT or RTX 5070 Ti. I’ve done a lot of research, yet I’m still confused. Both the RX 9070 and the 5070 Ti would be cheaper than the 7900 XTX, and they offer better upscaling features (DLSS and FSR), though raw performance still favors the 7900 XTX.
I’ve also looked at the RTX 5080, which is priced the same as my RX 7900 XTX. Is this an upgrade worth considering? I’m a bit worried about VRAM—I know the 7900 XTX has plenty, but maybe that’s not as crucial as I think.
Additionally, should I wait for new GPU releases if they meet all my needs in terms of performance and cost? It would prevent me from having a card for a while.
I really value advice from more experienced users. I feel like I’m going in circles with all the reviews and comparisons I’ve read!
Thanks in advance for your help.
I’ve used both a 7900xtx and a 9070xt.
Here’s the situation. The 7900xtx offers raw power and larger memory, while the 9070xt is catching up with improved upscaling and ray tracing features.
Regarding wait times, I’d consider buying now since RAM costs are dropping significantly. In fact, recent videos suggest AMD might need to raise prices by at least 10%.
If you have funds available, I recommend purchasing immediately—gpu prices are currently at their lowest. That said, I anticipate future increases. Ultimately, it depends on which card you choose. The 9070xt remains a solid option, and it’s currently available at good prices. However, the 5070ti offers better ray tracing and broader DLSS support, though it’s only about 5-6% faster than the 9070xt. Your decision is yours.
I just upgraded from a RTX 4070 Ti to a RTX 5080. The availability at MSRP made me think now was the right time, especially considering how prices for RAM and storage are fluctuating. I expect the RAM cost issues will eventually influence GPU prices, so I decided to buy while they were still affordable.
I'm satisfied with my RTX 5080; it offers a solid performance boost, is stable, and uses power much like my 4070 Ti. I'm really happy with it.
I own a 7900xtx which works well but I wouldn’t purchase it right now. The 9070xt and 5070ti offer better value if speed is your priority. The 5080 outperforms the 7900xtx in every aspect, and unless you need high performance for LLMs or similar tasks, the GPU should handle it easily. For gaming, you should be fine with a very fast GPU.
When looking at all options together, the 7900 XTX remains impressive in raw performance and its large VRAM is appealing, though ray tracing and upscaling aren’t its main strengths. The 9070 XT and 5070 Ti offer solid value for the price, but they’re a noticeable downgrade—consider them only if you’re strictly looking to cut costs. The RTX 5080 stands out as the most balanced choice: strong performance, improved ray tracing/DLSS, and enough VRAM for current games. If you’re on the same budget as the XTX, it’s a solid upgrade path. As for waiting, new technology emerges regularly, but if you’re not ready to invest in a GPU now, it might not be worth delaying your purchase for a potential future card.
With ram chip shortages, waiting is not something I would recommend at this time. There's a chance that the 50 super series cards will not be released because of it, and GPU pricing is going to increase as a result of said shortages.
Completely in agreement. We’re not in a typical market where GPUs are at or near MSRP; instead, GPUs are already soaring. Reports suggest SSDs and GPUs will face price increases, I think SSDs are likely already impacted, but with the holidays and sales, there’s enough GPUs in production before prices rose. I’ve noticed recent updates indicating AMD has mentioned that card prices will have to go up. If Nvidia is hinting at delaying their high-end cards, that should signal something significant is coming. With GPUs now priced normally again, it’s time to act.