Request 9900x or hold for 9800x3d availability
Request 9900x or hold for 9800x3d availability
I also handle multiple tasks, sometimes creating or compiling things. The games I play are CPU-heavy simulation titles. Would it be better to buy the 9900x for €465 now, or wait until the 9800x3d is available, which would cost over €600? I think the 9900x is a better choice because it offers higher clock speed and more cores, and it's already in stock.
This applies only when you prioritize visual quality instead of smooth frame rates, accepting a reduction in performance.
Unless you require 12 cores or demand gaming at over 180fps, an overclocked 9700X should meet your needs. I’d keep it running for another year until the next generation arrives, since AMD might add more cores to the '700X lineup if they retain that name. If core count matters more than raw speed, a 9900X could be better, but you might also opt for a more affordable last-gen CPU if performance or efficiency isn’t critical.
Could be worth considering a boost to a faster refresh rate eventually.
It might work out, but I tend to wait a while before moving on. Every year there seems to be another release, so I'm just looking for something around €450 that can last five years. Eight cores should suffice for gaming, but since I've done more than just games, eight or twelve cores would be better for handling multiple tasks.
You're looking for more cores, possibly moving to the latest 8-core chips from AMD and even the newer 7950X. I agree we might be near the end of the 8-core lineup from the 700 series. If you plan to upgrade this year, it's not too late—just make sure your GPU performance or resolution isn't limiting things. Unless you notice a big drop in performance or resolution, you shouldn't be held back.