Evaluate the value of this upgrade and consider waiting if needed. (7th gen 9940x to 13th gen 13700k)
Evaluate the value of this upgrade and consider waiting if needed. (7th gen 9940x to 13th gen 13700k)
Curious on thoughts about my situation. I'm actually on 7th gen Intel architecture (Skylake-X) with an HEDT CPU 9940x 14-core. I BARELY made the Windows 11 support cut. I'm on a 3070Ti graphics card but got thinking... any new video cards are going to start seriously getting bottlenecked. I have a gaming 4K 144hz monitor, but occasionally keep it at 1440 to reach 144fps at high settings in games I play. I also use Photoshop heavily with large projects and currently have 64GB of 3200 RAM. I'm definitely upgrading at some point, but am wondering if I'm wasting my time waiting for Arrow Lake. Meteor Lake is all but cancelled for desktop. Would a 13700K destroy what I have? Would that IPC uplift and DDR5 memory give me noticeable boosts across the board without even upgrading the GPU? Also, I'd like to stick to Intel since I need Thunderbolt support and the applications I use favor Intel, FYI.
You’d need to purchase a brand new setup. Switching from a CPU discontinued in 2008 means replacing it with something nearly a year old using DDR5 components and upgraded parts. This upgrade would likely surpass your current system’s capabilities, potentially rendering it obsolete. Whether it’s worth it depends on your budget and needs. A fresh CPU, new motherboard, memory, cooling system, power supply, and software would all be necessary. The 13700K received good reviews, but this test system offers a more comprehensive comparison. Consider your specific requirements before deciding.
Just a note... my CPU is from late 2018. It's a 9040x, very similar to the 7040x chip, with 14 cores and 28 threads, Skylake generation. Edit: I used the 9940X model instead. There was a typo.
only a few 9040x references match the 10940x and 9040 Intel Server links you shared. I noticed a mix-up in the title—your CPU is actually an Intel Core i9 9940x. Should I check if upgrading to the 13th gen 13700K is a good move, or would it be better to wait?
I'm sorry you had to hear that. Let me make sure I give you the right information.
I'll wait for the Raptor Lake update then, check if they'll be using the rumored LGA1851 or actually LGA1700 as seen in industry announcements around Computex 23. The only certainty now is AM5 with another generation confirmed, though they aren't the top choice for performance.