Comparing the two options: worth exchanging 13,700k for 9,800x3d.
Comparing the two options: worth exchanging 13,700k for 9,800x3d.
Good evening everyone, my setup has run smoothly since January 2023 with a 13700K and a solid undervolt setting. However, after learning about the recent problems with Intel’s 13th and 14th generation chips, I contacted tech support to check if I’m at risk. They suggested a refund if I’m interested. With the arrival of the 9800X3D, I’m thinking about upgrading to avoid possible future issues. Switching to AMD would also require replacing my motherboard, which adds to the expense. Another option is purchasing a 14900K and simply swapping the CPU. Reports say the 9800X3D performs well for gaming but is significantly cheaper in the US compared to Spain. Here, the 14900K would cost around 490€, while the 9800X3D is about 600€ plus an additional 200-300€ for a compatible board. I anticipate receiving a 380€ refund for my current model, and if I choose AMD, I might be able to sell my existing motherboard—though the second-hand market here isn’t very active. The 9800X3D is praised for gaming but not as strong in productivity. My main use is 4K gaming with a 4090, so I’m deciding whether this change makes sense given the current prices in Spain. Any guidance or alternative ideas would be greatly appreciated. So far, I haven’t been very interested in the new Intel CPUs, which seem to have been underwhelming. Also, please advise on the best motherboard to consider if I decide to go with AMD. Thank you in advance!
Typically, you'd get a similar gaming experience in 4K, making the cost worth considering. However, if you prioritize reduced power usage, it could be a good choice.
I enjoy playing many different types of games. Recently, I've been spending time on Diablo 4, GOW, Elden Ring, and Helldivers. I don't stick to just one genre and switch often. Thank you for your help!
I’d prefer what you’ve suggested. The 13700k is a strong CPU and one of the better options from a price standpoint, especially for gaming. Even with a 13600k paired with a 4090, it still performs well at 4K. My setup runs at 1.2v 5.4P / 4.4E and I’m really satisfied. For 4K gamers, you’re likely more GPU-dependent, so upgrading to a 9800 X3D probably won’t make much difference. The situation changes at 1080p or 1440p though—just my take. If you can afford the full original price of your 13700k and get a decent used GPU, then once 9800 X3D becomes more available and affordable, it could be a smart move.
The situation doesn't seem to be a problem right now, but how does the 13700K fit into your gaming experience? It's possible everything is working well, yet you're still curious about its performance. Comparing it to newer models can be tempting, but it's important to assess whether your current settings are sufficient. If you're confident in its stability, you might wait until you notice any strain under heavy use. You've probably addressed any possible concerns with undervolting, so it's likely fine unless you encounter specific challenges.
How much time do you have before deciding? The prices are high since stocks are scarce, likely after the new year before markets stabilize. It’s definitely better, though not cheaper. I’d hold off if possible and then move forward when costs drop. The 13th generation is still solid.
I can achieve 144hz on most games, swapping the CPU would help avoid possible problems later. I expect the value I received for the 13700k, where saving money would be in the motherboard, because when they built it they were quite expensive. I bought it for 400€ now it would cost around 260€. Perhaps I could recoup some of that. You’re spot on, and I understand there’s no real reason to upgrade right now. The goal is mainly to prevent future issues, and he mentioned it as a way to replace a two-year-old CPU without cost. I don’t have strict time limits, but since I’ve used Intel before, I can’t wait too long. I already placed a preorder for 600€ (prices have jumped to about 660€), so I’m unsure what the final cost will be once things settle. Ultimately, I see this as an upgrade plan for the future while keeping my investment intact. Thanks everyone for your help!
If your system functions well right now and you can upgrade, I’d likely opt for the simpler CPU upgrade rather than a full platform overhaul. This approach boosts your value without a big investment. I’m uncertain about how serious the performance drop is, but it’s possible the new chip would still face the same limitations. As long as your data remains secure and backed up, you’re getting a free CPU upgrade unless you specifically want to switch to AMD now. From a speed perspective, you probably won’t notice much change.