F5F Stay Refreshed Hardware Desktop Should I upgrade or wait?

Should I upgrade or wait?

Should I upgrade or wait?

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
S
Splax67
Member
190
10-16-2021, 08:43 AM
#1
My current setup includes:
CPU: i9-9900k
GPU: 3070ti Rog strix
MBO: MSI Z390-A pro
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600mhz
PSU: Corsair RM 850W
Case: Lian-Li PC-O11DX Dynamic
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB

I mainly play FN but also enjoy story games such as SOTR, Assassin’s Creed, RDR2, Far Cry titles, and I also play Escape from Tarkov (which is quite challenging).
I aim to keep 240FPS on FN and around 120-140 fps during high settings on other games, though maintaining a steady 240 frames has become difficult lately.
My rig was assembled towards the end of 2021, but I’ve noticed a decline in performance recently.
I’m considering upgrading to a more recent processor, like the 14th generation Intel, and possibly switching to a Ryzen chip. However, I’d need to upgrade my motherboard if going with Intel, since the latest has an 1700 socket. I’d still keep my 3070 Ti GPU, which remains a solid choice.
I learned that newer Intel CPUs require different sockets, which could complicate future upgrades if I decide to upgrade again later.
On the other hand, the next-gen Ryzen models use the AM5 socket, so I’m facing a tough decision: stick with my current 30 series GPU or wait for Intel’s newer CPUs and opt for a 50 series graphics card?
S
Splax67
10-16-2021, 08:43 AM #1

My current setup includes:
CPU: i9-9900k
GPU: 3070ti Rog strix
MBO: MSI Z390-A pro
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600mhz
PSU: Corsair RM 850W
Case: Lian-Li PC-O11DX Dynamic
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB

I mainly play FN but also enjoy story games such as SOTR, Assassin’s Creed, RDR2, Far Cry titles, and I also play Escape from Tarkov (which is quite challenging).
I aim to keep 240FPS on FN and around 120-140 fps during high settings on other games, though maintaining a steady 240 frames has become difficult lately.
My rig was assembled towards the end of 2021, but I’ve noticed a decline in performance recently.
I’m considering upgrading to a more recent processor, like the 14th generation Intel, and possibly switching to a Ryzen chip. However, I’d need to upgrade my motherboard if going with Intel, since the latest has an 1700 socket. I’d still keep my 3070 Ti GPU, which remains a solid choice.
I learned that newer Intel CPUs require different sockets, which could complicate future upgrades if I decide to upgrade again later.
On the other hand, the next-gen Ryzen models use the AM5 socket, so I’m facing a tough decision: stick with my current 30 series GPU or wait for Intel’s newer CPUs and opt for a 50 series graphics card?

T
therealboss13
Member
161
10-16-2021, 03:12 PM
#2
Hello there, newcomer! Could you share the type of monitor and resolution you're using for gaming? I'd like to wait until the RTX5000 series is released before upgrading to the newest options.
T
therealboss13
10-16-2021, 03:12 PM #2

Hello there, newcomer! Could you share the type of monitor and resolution you're using for gaming? I'd like to wait until the RTX5000 series is released before upgrading to the newest options.

E
Explor
Member
58
10-16-2021, 11:52 PM
#3
Depends on if you want to upgrade now, or wait. At current moment, best gaming CPU is Ryzen 7 7800X3D, which beats Intel 14th gen quite nicely, review: What future brings, no-one knows. Latest speculation is this, article: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/...g-we-know/
E
Explor
10-16-2021, 11:52 PM #3

Depends on if you want to upgrade now, or wait. At current moment, best gaming CPU is Ryzen 7 7800X3D, which beats Intel 14th gen quite nicely, review: What future brings, no-one knows. Latest speculation is this, article: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/...g-we-know/

X
xAdriLCT
Senior Member
702
10-17-2021, 04:00 AM
#4
No, don't upgrade just yet. Hold off until Black Friday this year at the latest.
It also hinges on which GPUs make their way into the market in 2025.
Your system is getting older, but it remains quite capable.
Currently, there isn't a straightforward upgrade path for your 3070ti.
The AMD CPU situation is well-defined, but Intel is set to release new i9 and i7 models soon—offering new sockets and chipset options.
Wait. Avoid spending your money now.
X
xAdriLCT
10-17-2021, 04:00 AM #4

No, don't upgrade just yet. Hold off until Black Friday this year at the latest.
It also hinges on which GPUs make their way into the market in 2025.
Your system is getting older, but it remains quite capable.
Currently, there isn't a straightforward upgrade path for your 3070ti.
The AMD CPU situation is well-defined, but Intel is set to release new i9 and i7 models soon—offering new sockets and chipset options.
Wait. Avoid spending your money now.

A
106
10-19-2021, 04:37 AM
#5
Thank you, I currently use an AOC 240 hz monitor and am viewing at 1920 x 1080 resolution.
A
anima_messorem
10-19-2021, 04:37 AM #5

Thank you, I currently use an AOC 240 hz monitor and am viewing at 1920 x 1080 resolution.

S
Shanniee_
Member
104
10-21-2021, 02:21 AM
#6
It seems you're experiencing the urge to upgrade. If you hold off for the next best option, you might miss out on progress. It's hard to say whether a GPU or CPU upgrade would be more beneficial for you. Try this quick check: play your games at a lower resolution and reduce visual effects. This can help the graphics card perform better. An increase in FPS suggests your CPU is capable of handling a higher graphics setting. If your FPS remains steady, it likely means your CPU is the limiting factor. Most games rely heavily on the single main thread speed. Consider running the cpu-Z benchmark on your i9-9900K. You should see a score around 630, which could be higher or lower depending on overclocking.
Any way you look at it, a motherboard replacement will probably be necessary. Switching to Intel would allow you to stick with DDR4 memory, as DDR4 and DDR5 perform similarly. If you choose AM5, DDR5 RAM is recommended, especially for Ryzen performance. X3d models are popular for gaming, but other versions may offer better results if you have different requirements.
It feels pointless to wait for the next improvement. It probably won't make a significant difference. Based on past trends, the next generation could offer around a 15% increase in both price and performance.
S
Shanniee_
10-21-2021, 02:21 AM #6

It seems you're experiencing the urge to upgrade. If you hold off for the next best option, you might miss out on progress. It's hard to say whether a GPU or CPU upgrade would be more beneficial for you. Try this quick check: play your games at a lower resolution and reduce visual effects. This can help the graphics card perform better. An increase in FPS suggests your CPU is capable of handling a higher graphics setting. If your FPS remains steady, it likely means your CPU is the limiting factor. Most games rely heavily on the single main thread speed. Consider running the cpu-Z benchmark on your i9-9900K. You should see a score around 630, which could be higher or lower depending on overclocking.
Any way you look at it, a motherboard replacement will probably be necessary. Switching to Intel would allow you to stick with DDR4 memory, as DDR4 and DDR5 perform similarly. If you choose AM5, DDR5 RAM is recommended, especially for Ryzen performance. X3d models are popular for gaming, but other versions may offer better results if you have different requirements.
It feels pointless to wait for the next improvement. It probably won't make a significant difference. Based on past trends, the next generation could offer around a 15% increase in both price and performance.

E
ErtLion
Member
62
10-21-2021, 02:35 AM
#7
👍 Generally, prices are about 20% higher and often even more. My view on upgrading components or the whole build is this: If better hardware is needed, opt for what's currently available. That's the best approach. Even though new hardware is coming soon, getting it early often means dealing with problems like BIOS or driver updates, which take time to resolve.
E
ErtLion
10-21-2021, 02:35 AM #7

👍 Generally, prices are about 20% higher and often even more. My view on upgrading components or the whole build is this: If better hardware is needed, opt for what's currently available. That's the best approach. Even though new hardware is coming soon, getting it early often means dealing with problems like BIOS or driver updates, which take time to resolve.

D
Dreemurrz
Member
220
10-21-2021, 10:44 AM
#8
Considering the OPs existing build, buying a new PC along the lines of 13700K/4070 Super/DDR5 would cost a lot of money right now. The CPU upgrade would be substantial but the rest, not so much.
Right now is not the time to upgrade *that* particular PC. It's why i suggested black friday, or some other change in price vs performance.
I wouldn't be in a rush to upgrade but i would keep an eye out.
One possibility is a new AM5 or 1700 (DDR4 or DDR5) board, and a new CPU. A Ryzen X3D or 13700K/14700K. Toss in new DDR5 Ripjaws (F5-6000J3040F16GX2-RS5W or F5-6000J3040F16GX2-RS5K) if going DDR5.
That would breathe some life into the system, and it would cost approx $600-700. GPU can be upgraded later when the right one shows up.
But buying a whole new PC? Right now, i would say hold on and save your money.
D
Dreemurrz
10-21-2021, 10:44 AM #8

Considering the OPs existing build, buying a new PC along the lines of 13700K/4070 Super/DDR5 would cost a lot of money right now. The CPU upgrade would be substantial but the rest, not so much.
Right now is not the time to upgrade *that* particular PC. It's why i suggested black friday, or some other change in price vs performance.
I wouldn't be in a rush to upgrade but i would keep an eye out.
One possibility is a new AM5 or 1700 (DDR4 or DDR5) board, and a new CPU. A Ryzen X3D or 13700K/14700K. Toss in new DDR5 Ripjaws (F5-6000J3040F16GX2-RS5W or F5-6000J3040F16GX2-RS5K) if going DDR5.
That would breathe some life into the system, and it would cost approx $600-700. GPU can be upgraded later when the right one shows up.
But buying a whole new PC? Right now, i would say hold on and save your money.

W
walmartmic
Member
210
11-02-2021, 10:33 AM
#9
Alternatively, the Ryzen 7000/8000-series or Intel 15th gen with RTX 50-series will also be quite costly. Therefore, financially it will remain expensive no matter what. Additionally, upgrading the GPU to an RTX 4070 Super and higher would provide a significant performance improvement, particularly when paired with an RTX 4090 and a suitable power supply of 1.2-1.6kW.
W
walmartmic
11-02-2021, 10:33 AM #9

Alternatively, the Ryzen 7000/8000-series or Intel 15th gen with RTX 50-series will also be quite costly. Therefore, financially it will remain expensive no matter what. Additionally, upgrading the GPU to an RTX 4070 Super and higher would provide a significant performance improvement, particularly when paired with an RTX 4090 and a suitable power supply of 1.2-1.6kW.

C
Chezeballz
Junior Member
5
11-02-2021, 11:32 AM
#10
Thank you for your reply, my reasoning was that choosing an intel upgrade would require purchasing a new motherboard now, since upcoming intel CPUs are expected to need a different socket in the future.
C
Chezeballz
11-02-2021, 11:32 AM #10

Thank you for your reply, my reasoning was that choosing an intel upgrade would require purchasing a new motherboard now, since upcoming intel CPUs are expected to need a different socket in the future.

Pages (2): 1 2 Next