Need guidance on upgrading Build?
Need guidance on upgrading Build?
Hello Everyone
I developed my current system around 4 or 5 years ago and it has been reliable. Recently, I've identified some performance issues, which led me to consider an upgrade. I want to be clear that I lack deep expertise on this subject. I’ve relied on YouTube videos and reports/reviews to set up my system. Therefore, I’m unsure whether to start fresh due to the new CPU and DDR5 RAM, or if I should adjust some components and wait a few more years before upgrading later.
My current setup includes:
CPU: AMD Rxzen 9 3900X 12 cores, AM4, 3.9GHz
GPU: MSI 2080ti gaming trio x
MB: MSI MEG X570 Ace
RAM: 64 GB
I’m wondering if moving to a 4090 would be sufficient since my motherboard supports PCIe 4.0. But is my CPU adequate for that? If not, should I consider an older generation CPU instead? Or should I completely rebuild with the new CPU and RAM?
Thank you very much for your advice—it means a lot.
The 3900X won't match the same frame rate as a 7900X3D with a 4090, but you'll still have higher FPS than your 2080Ti. You can upgrade to a 5700/5800 series X3D CPU for a noticeable improvement in gaming performance, especially with games that benefit from extra cache. The 5700X3D costs $200 and the 5800X3D is $330. The 5700X3D is the stronger option and may reach similar speeds to the 5800X3D. Both will outperform the 3900X in gaming.
If you need something immediately, a 5700x3d is the way to go. If you're patient, I recommend waiting to observe how the Ryzen 9000 performs when it launches next month. There might also be a discount on Ryzen 7000 series chips afterward. Do you live close to a Microcenter?
Thank you for the advice! With a Seasonic 1000W, I feel confident. But I'm wondering if it's better to switch to a more affordable GPU instead of the 4090. Would Jeremy be able to fully utilize the 4090 with the upgraded CPU as he suggested? Or would it make more sense to choose a cheaper 4080 or 3090? Thanks again for your guidance!
You might want to hold off on upgrading your CPU until the 50xx series is officially announced.