Is there a need to pay more than 3600 for the additional cost?
Is there a need to pay more than 3600 for the additional cost?
I'm working on upgrading my nearly 9-year-old build (Ivy Bridge) to Ryzen. I initially chose the 3600, but my B450 motherboard is arriving soon. I'm unsure whether to stick with the 3600 or wait for the 5600. I know the 5600 isn't available yet, with a planned release in early 2021, but I'm thinking about the price jump compared to the 3600. As you can see, I've been holding onto my parts for a long time. I'm currently running a Vega 56 and mostly play FPS games like CS:GO and Valorant, but I'm interested in expanding my game list. I also plan to do some data science work. Running at 2560 x 1440 on a 144Hz monitor, if that's important. Thanks!
It depends on the situation. If it’s a chance to gain something valuable now, acting quickly might be wise. But if it’s rare and worth the wait, holding off could be better.
with PC hardware, I wouldn't ever say a once in a lifetime opportunity.. always bigger, better, newer things right around the corner. That said, the 3600 is still an amazing CPU. I would go with the 3600 in your situation and work towards upgrading your GPU. Thats where you will get the most gain in your system overall.
Did you intend to refer to the R5 5600 non-X model that hasn't been officially released yet? I question whether the performance improvement would be substantial enough to warrant the cost of a new CPU. EDIT: n/m; re-examined the original post and noticed additional details I overlooked. Updated November 14, 2020 by Eighjan
I’d prefer the 5600x if you keep your gear for a while. It might have been better with a B550 board too by the way. Though NVME isn’t essential right now, it’s likely to become important soon, and you could end up without it.