Considering my options: purchase the 7700X immediately or hold off for the 7800X3D. Need some perspectives.
Considering my options: purchase the 7700X immediately or hold off for the 7800X3D. Need some perspectives.
I've designed a durable setup intended to endure for years. My strategy is to purchase a Zen 5 or Zen 6 CPU once AM5 support ends. Until then, I'll need a Zen 4 model, though I don't think it's wise to invest heavily now since upgrades will likely follow soon. On several forums, the 7700X is listed for about $300 USD, which is $100 less than its original MSRP. At this price, I could save $235 CAD compared to buying a 7800X3D in two months. The difference seems appealing, but what draws me to the X3D is its lower power usage, reduced heat output, and potentially better performance. For a CPU designed for 2–3 years of reliable use, the 7700X appears quite sensible at this discount. However, I prioritize quiet operation and minimal heat, so I'm curious whether these benefits justify the savings over that period. I also remember that previous Zen 4 CPUs had a very thick IHS, which significantly affects temperatures. I wonder if the X3D Zen 4 models address this issue. The rest of my components are already sourced and assembled. If I wait for the 7800X3D release, it will be sitting idle for two months. My current system is functioning well, so I'm not rushing to test it yet. But I'm keen to evaluate everything, check for return options or warranty needs, and see if any issues arise during setup. My build specifications are listed below (prices in CAD before taxes):
- Case: white Be Quiet Silent Base 802 – $210
- Motherboard: Asus X670E-A Gaming Wi-Fi – $532
- CPU: AMD 7700X – $449
- RAM: 64 GB DDR5 6000 CL32 – $482.99
- SSD: 2x 2TB Hynix P41 m.2 – $462.49
- Backup Drive: Samsung 4TB 870 Evo – $320
- Sound Card: Creative Labs Titanium HD – $100
- Power Supply: Corsair RMx 1000 watt – $210
- Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 – $86.60
- GPU: Asus Tuf RTX 3080 OC
- PSU: None (carryover from old system)
- GPU: None
- Total: $2852.45
I don't think the 7800X3D will rise in thermals much, since it's a premium model and the added die height for the 3D cache seems likely to increase heat output. Also, comparing a 7700X for $300 versus a 7800X3D for $450 shows a $150 price gap—really significant! I read some notes and my mind went with that thought. LMAO, though I’d probably skip the risk, because there’s so much more value in the price difference. Still, thermals might not be the best bet right now.
You can't judge today's market value against prices in two months. Once the new 3D CPU arrives, current prices might drop further. They could also introduce more unannounced CPUs later. It all hinges on your requirements, budget, and patience. I’d opt for the most affordable CPU available now and wait to upgrade when better options emerge. Perhaps delaying the purchase makes sense if you’re open to waiting 2 months—boards and DDR5 might be cheaper or improved then. Still, this is uncertain right now.
I noticed the cost variation quite clearly. The price gap is about $150 USD, which after taxes equals roughly $235 CAD. Since I’m based in Canada, I’m considering US vendors because the discounts there are more accessible. Many sellers in the United States provide affordable shipping to Canada. I began assembling my PC because several factors aligned. My existing machine is nearing its end of life, so I’m a bit worried about potential failures. I was hoping for a Zen 4 X3D chipset. Then I found a 4TB 870 EVO SSD at an excellent deal, taking advantage of big holiday savings on M.2 drives. The power supply was discounted, and I managed to match the price on the X670E-A motherboard locally (with this one) for a slight reduction. I also aimed to have the PC ready sooner rather than later, in case of any disruptions due to geopolitical issues or parts shortages. I could have saved a bit on RAM if I had waited (similar RAM is now available for $10 USD less). Still, the situation felt uncertain. Additionally, I was expecting the X3D CPU to be released soon, but it seems only one model will hit the market next month.
The price came across as quite steep, really. If things keep this way, anything under 7900X3D would be a letdown for that board. Honestly, if you needed to recover costs, the 7700X seems reasonable right now. But if I could persuade you otherwise, I’d suggest swapping to a B660 model and investing the savings into a 7800X3D, assuming the wait is worthwhile.
I faced the same situation you did. Ultimately, after comparing prices and the 120W TDP of the 3D, I chose the 7700. In my country, the 7800X3D would cost more than 200 euros more. Plus, they increase the TDP even more compared to the Ryzen X, making it a very powerful device. I really wanted to steer clear of this or risk picking an Intel instead. To consider upgrading to 3D or a next-generation Ray in two years...
I placed an order for a 7700X while it was discounted. It looks like it will remain reliable for several years ahead. I also secured a few dollars off a Noctua NH-D15 cooler from Amazon's stock, listed as "perfect / used - like new." The item should be untouched, possibly returned later if someone needs an alternative. I included the costs I paid for various components so others can gauge the price range. Most items came with discounts, though I realized my spending exceeded expectations. Since I haven’t assembled a brand-new system in over ten years, and this one could last another decade, it seems reasonable. I’m selective about motherboards because I prefer forward-thinking builds, and most components lag behind current trends. Manufacturers often delay adopting newer standards. The mobos still feature standard USB 2 ports, which I find disappointing—especially after Zen 3’s release when faster standards became more common. The X670E-A Gaming Wifi only has one USB 2 port, lacks bandwidth sharing with M.2 slots, and uses PCIe 5.0. I considered the X670E ProArt instead, offering USB 4, a 10G Ethernet port, and a fast-charging front port, but its PCIe slots share bandwidth, which isn’t ideal for my setup. I’m hoping an add-in card supporting Thunderbolt 4 and 10G Ethernet will be available in the future so I can expand later. I’ll keep just one expansion slot free after my GPU and sound card.
Id wait for feb 28 and see the reviews. Thats what Im gonna do. If the 7900X3D is gonna be way better, Im just gonna order parts then. Cba waiting for 7800X3D. Thermals...Noctua NHd15 should be fine with eco mode 105 watts, and Im gonna pair it with asus b650 mobo. If reviews aint much better im getting a 7700X or maybe even non-X. Hate the 7800X3D is delayed until April. Scummy move of AMD, or maybe they predict lack of chips and need more time.
You've raised some solid observations. I'm open to discussing more details but want to keep things concise. The 7700X seems sufficient now, though the 7800X3D might look appealing later—maybe you'll consider swapping it out eventually. It's worth noting that depending on when and where you bought the CPU, you have several choices. And don't worry, you can likely sell it for a good price once you're ready.