F5F Stay Refreshed Hardware Desktop 5800x TO 5900X upgrade ?!

5800x TO 5900X upgrade ?!

5800x TO 5900X upgrade ?!

F
Frinex10
Posting Freak
806
04-17-2022, 04:45 PM
#1
Hey everyone, I've been using the Ryzen 7 5800X for a few months now. I was hoping for the 5900X but it wasn't available at the MSRP—it ended up costing about 300€ more than it should have. I can sell my 5800X for less than what I paid and buy the 5900X, but I need to pay extra to get it.

My main reason for wanting the 12-core version is that I render videos and photos for a living. The 5800X had problems like unusually high CPU temps that didn't match its performance, and I spent a lot of time tweaking Curve Optimizer each week just to test cores. I used a Deepcool Assassin III cooler, but it still hit the 90°C limit at full load, with all cores around 4.4GHz. My Cinebench scores were disappointing—like 5600 points for a game that scored 6260 in reviews.

I fixed things by adjusting PPT, TDC, EDC, and Curve Optimizer settings, but I still test each core weekly to find unstable ones. I experienced random shutdowns at idle with no load and random curve changes, while gaming or rendering would crash unpredictably. Now the temps are stable around 75°C, and I'm getting 6000 points in Cinebench. But I’m still checking the 5900X and 5600X models—no data on overheating issues.

Should I upgrade?
F
Frinex10
04-17-2022, 04:45 PM #1

Hey everyone, I've been using the Ryzen 7 5800X for a few months now. I was hoping for the 5900X but it wasn't available at the MSRP—it ended up costing about 300€ more than it should have. I can sell my 5800X for less than what I paid and buy the 5900X, but I need to pay extra to get it.

My main reason for wanting the 12-core version is that I render videos and photos for a living. The 5800X had problems like unusually high CPU temps that didn't match its performance, and I spent a lot of time tweaking Curve Optimizer each week just to test cores. I used a Deepcool Assassin III cooler, but it still hit the 90°C limit at full load, with all cores around 4.4GHz. My Cinebench scores were disappointing—like 5600 points for a game that scored 6260 in reviews.

I fixed things by adjusting PPT, TDC, EDC, and Curve Optimizer settings, but I still test each core weekly to find unstable ones. I experienced random shutdowns at idle with no load and random curve changes, while gaming or rendering would crash unpredictably. Now the temps are stable around 75°C, and I'm getting 6000 points in Cinebench. But I’m still checking the 5900X and 5600X models—no data on overheating issues.

Should I upgrade?

F
filray
Junior Member
1
04-18-2022, 12:43 AM
#2
Why hold off until AMD drops the 5000XT series? I know these would add a 3D cache boosting performance by roughly 15% compared to the standard 5000X line. I'm hoping for a 5900 XT or 5950 XT (whatever they name them) to swap in for my 3900X.
F
filray
04-18-2022, 12:43 AM #2

Why hold off until AMD drops the 5000XT series? I know these would add a 3D cache boosting performance by roughly 15% compared to the standard 5000X line. I'm hoping for a 5900 XT or 5950 XT (whatever they name them) to swap in for my 3900X.

C
Cqristopher
Member
241
04-20-2022, 05:01 AM
#3
No XT CPUs will be available, and even if they do, they wouldn’t offer much improvement over today’s models. AMD should reduce the price instead. I’m planning an upgrade now since I won’t be able to sell the 5800X at a reasonable rate later.
C
Cqristopher
04-20-2022, 05:01 AM #3

No XT CPUs will be available, and even if they do, they wouldn’t offer much improvement over today’s models. AMD should reduce the price instead. I’m planning an upgrade now since I won’t be able to sell the 5800X at a reasonable rate later.

R
Ryan_217
Junior Member
38
04-20-2022, 09:44 PM
#4
Sure, I understand. It’s great that you’re focusing on a different path—your 3900X won’t need to be sold since you’re planning another build. If the 5900/5950 with 3D cache are priced too high, you might want to hold off on upgrading as well.
R
Ryan_217
04-20-2022, 09:44 PM #4

Sure, I understand. It’s great that you’re focusing on a different path—your 3900X won’t need to be sold since you’re planning another build. If the 5900/5950 with 3D cache are priced too high, you might want to hold off on upgrading as well.

B
bmw355games
Junior Member
47
05-05-2022, 06:06 PM
#5
Consider postponing the purchase until the next cycle, then sell your entire PC, motherboard, and CPU. Upgrade to a completely new socket for the next generation.
B
bmw355games
05-05-2022, 06:06 PM #5

Consider postponing the purchase until the next cycle, then sell your entire PC, motherboard, and CPU. Upgrade to a completely new socket for the next generation.